Why Choose Custom Photography?

Check this out.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Sheye and Ava

My photography "career" began on a forum called "Grow" that Jinky started. It was geared for people (women, really) who wanted to photograph babies, children and families on location, using natural light, and capture each family's reality.

That forum changed my life in so many ways.

Yes, I became a better photographer. But. More importantly, I met a woman named Sheye. She was my favorite photographer on the forum b/c her pictures were just magical and her posts to the forum were so witty, funny, self-deprecating, and humble. She has 4 of the most beautiful children you'd ever seen and she'd post pictures of them, along with her clients' photos for our critique and support.

Anytime I saw that she had posted something new I rushed to see it and read her commentary. There was just something about her that drew me in.

Then one day last February, her best friend Carrie, also a member of Grow, posted to the forum. She told us that Sheye's little girl, 3 year old Ava, had gotten into the family's car and locked herself in accidentally and was in a coma. (They live in Australia where February is their summer. Imagine our Texas summers and this happening. Same thing.) I gulped with a "yikes" feeling, but I really thought no way would anything really bad happen. Ava would be fine.

Well, 2 days later Carrie posted again, but this time to tell us Ava has passed away.

Since then, I have been deeply changed inside myself. Rarely a day goes by that I don't think of Sheye and her Ava, and I keep a constant watch on her blog. Words will never do Sheye justice, so I won't even try, but she is simply magical.

I encourage you to read her blog, look at her breathtaking photos, and learn about her story. She'll remind you why it's so important not to sweat the small stuff with our kids.

Start with this.

1 comment:

Stumpy said...

I recently came upon Sheye's blog while looking at "natural light" photography (which I'm a fan of myself). Her story was heartbreaking. I myself have a little girl and I just cannot begin to grasp the level of heartache she must have felt. Her words are lovely, her images are truly "magic", and she's inspirational.